Friday, July 10, 2009

Not like funny ha ha

For those of you who get around in the blog world (don't worry, I'm not judging), there's little doubt that you have largely become immune to the many raves about the next hot band. Given the commodization of blogs, I think many have become forced to throw multiple bands at you every day. Besides maybe 5% of music industry people, bloggers, and a few people in silly hats, how many of us really have the energy to check out a new band or 5 every day? Personally, I find that I am lucky to feel like listening to one new band each week, and probably don't buy music from an artist I previously knew nothing of more than once a month.

All that being said, I still have trouble filtering out who I think are the most trusted sources of music recommendations, and even at my favorite blogs, the new music recommendations tend to be too much to handle. Amazing how bands find their way into our playlists really, given the number of options out there.

Why you needed to hear all of that, I don't know. Nonetheless, the latest band that has begun to catch my attention is Ha Ha Tonka. I was initially turned off by the name (the same reason I have not taken the time to listen to Ra Ra Riot, despite having heard they are good), but given the credibility I attribute to Bloodshot Records, I fought through my initial disinterest and listened to their myspace. In recent years, I had lost interest in Bloodshot's releases for no specific reason, but they have regained my interest as of late due to my recent discovery of Justin Townes Earle.

I still need some time to soak in exactly what they are up to, but I do have some first impressions - they seem to be a bit more rockin' than the typical Bloodshot band and they've got good harmonies. They've still got a slight country element to their sound, but it's very cleverly woven into their indie rock sound. Also, they are coming through Denver in a few weeks, so hopefully I'll have a chance to hear their albums and see a live show.

If you so choose to check them out, try "Falling In" and "Caney Mountain" from their myspace. I've found those two tracks to be pretty strong. Alternatively, you can file this in the "more recommended music from a blog that I will probably never listen to" file.

Here's one of them fancy music videos for "Caney Mountain," courtesy of the Bloodshot youtube page:


And while you're at it, check out the relatively new Justin Townes Earle "Midnight at the Movies" video:

No comments: