Friday, February 6, 2009

Twice the sin, 1/4 the time

I've found myself recently liking two songs, both titled "Sin City." One is by the relatively well known Flying Burrito Brothers, arguably one of the progenitors of alternative country, while the other is from Limbeck, a newer and maybe less relatively well known band.

The FBB's version is classic, and probably my favorite version of it is actually performed by Beck and Lucinda Williams. Limbeck, whom I might characterize as a decreasingly alt country band, clearly has a bit of a Burrito Brothers/Gram Parsons influence, and their Sin City song is probably just as good.

Here's what I'd like to see, in a live show, from some band willing to take on the challenge. I think these songs have a potential to be melded into one in a fairly cohesive way, maybe like when older bands put 3 or 4 songs into a medley, but in a more respectable way. The biggest problem is that one is in 3/4 time and the other in 4/4. Yes, quite a problem, but not an insurmountable one.

Be creative, be bold, but by all means, please do a good job.

No comments: