Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Facebook is too crowded

Remember when it was fun to post cynical and somewhat inappropriate things on facebook, both in your profile and when you updated your status?  Yeah, well those days are pretty much over if you hadn't noticed.  Every time I think of a funny thing to put on my status, I think of a certain subgroup who it will unnecessarily offend.  Now, I know, why should I care?  Well, partly because online it's easy to anger people without considering their position, and while I don't share a lot of views with the folks I went to high school with or who taught me in high school, I don't really have any underlying need to piss them off.  Also, inevitably some future employer of mine will find some status I wrote in 2006 and hold it against me, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

So there you have it.  I'm sorry I had to say it here, but seriously, facebook is everywhere now. It's about as popular as television, except for the fact that with facebook everyone is watching everyone else on facebook.  It's appealing to some underlying desire to snoop in everyone else's business, and also maybe to ramp up our self importance, from having our "own" web page.  I used to say that if my parents got a facebook that I was going to be done, but given the state that it's in now, it doesn't matter because I think I'm just going to end up using it less and less.  Things like this are the type of things that make sociologists crazier than a craphouse rat.









In other news, I'm starting a web cam service that will follow me 24 hours a day, and everyone that I've ever known in my life is welcome to watch it.

No comments: