Friday, October 23, 2009

3 (or 4) great shows in 5 (or 6) days

Why does it never fail that months upon end can pass without any worthwhile live shows coming through town, but then in one week, so many come up that I can't possibly fit them all in? I guess there is no good answer for that question, but nonetheless, that seems to be the way it goes.

Three of the 4 bands I want to see are promoting very new albums, while the fourth is simply a Denver standard that one should do him or herself the favor of seeing when given the chance.

Lucero
10/26 - Aggie Theatre, Fort Collins
10/27 - Ogden Theater, Denver

Having seen Lucero many many times in the past, I look forward to hearing a good bit of their new material live. When I saw them in May at the Fox Theatre, the band sounded tighter and sharper than I had ever heard them before. I hope that I can expect the same again, and more importantly, given the Monday/Tuesday shows, I truly hope no one buys me any whiskey.
























Langhorne Slim, Dawes
10/29 - Hi-Dive, Denver

I had the opportunity to hear Langhorne Slim live for the first time earlier this year at the Underground Music Showcase, and his music has grown on me ever since. The new material I have heard thus far is amazing, and his live show should infuse the new songs with even more energy. As an added bonus, I've just begun listening to the debut album from Dawes, entitled North Hills, and am very much looking forward to seeing how their material holds up live.























Slim Cessna's Auto Club
10/31 - Benders Tavern, Denver

Slim Cessna is a treasure of Denver music both past and present. His musical tenure in the city goes back as far as the early 90s, that is, when he was playing alternative country music way before you had ever heard of it. Time has only strengthened the band's sound, and if you've never caught one of their live shows, then you truly don't comprehend what it means for a band to blow the roof off of a venue.

I just ran across this old video of an early iteration of SCAC playing "Hold On." They are a bit of a different band than this now, but pretty cool to recognize how long they've been making great music, and how great their early work has influenced Americana and rock music of today.

No comments: