Tuesday, March 9, 2010

SXSW preview - 2010 Bloodshot Records day party

Disclaimer: Yes, this is the 3rd party I've previewed that will take place on Friday, and sadly, I don't think I'll be able to make this one either due to time conflicts, but YOU still might want to go.

While my interest in Bloodshot Records artists has waned at various times over the last decade, I've taken notice of them quite a bit in the last year, largely as a result of the music of Justin Townes Earle. While I would take some time here to talk more about him, every blog in existence has interviewed Earle in the past 6 months, so you should be able to find his info elsewhere if you've been in Antarctica all summer. Maybe that's an exaggeration, but in short, he is an artist on the rise, and his music and songwriting are of extremely high quality.

Bloodshot has been putting on a free SXSW day party since back in the day, by which I mean since the mid 90s, if you were born then. How I longed in my formative years to see Old 97s at one of these parties at the time, but while times have changed, the line-up is still strong.

According to Bloodshot's Web site, here is the line-up for the day:
Waco Brothers (5:35pm), Deadstring Brothers (4:55pm), Exene Cervenka (4:15pm), Justin Townes Earle (3:35pm), Rosie Flores (2:55pm), Ha Ha Tonka (2:15pm), Ben Weaver (1:35pm), Whitey Morgan & the 78s (12:55pm), The Silos (12:15pm)
Besides JT Earle, the most notable on this list for me is Ha Ha Tonka. I've been listening to their music since around last summer, and I like what I've heard. Since I've not yet seen them live, I'm looking forward to getting the chance, hopefully so that they can change me from a casual listener to a full-fledged fan.

The party takes place on Friday, March 19th, at the Yard Dog Gallery, 1510 South Congress Ave., and starts around noon. Bloodshot has been doing this a long time, so you can trust that this will be a worthwhile party with great music. Even if you can't make the party, the good folks over at Bloodshot have compiled a list of all the shows their artists will be playing during SXSW week.

No comments: