Friday, November 5, 2010

64 Years of Nix Music - Big Spring Stampede, 11/13/10

I wish I had more time to give this event a proper write-up, as it fully deserves it, but having had a number of things going on at work I wasn't able to do so. Nonetheless, I'll tell you what I do know:

This Saturday, November 13th, the Nix family celebrates 64 years of music at their very own venue, the Stampede in Big Spring, Texas. The venue was established by West Texas Swing icon Hoyle Nix, and is maintained today by his son Jody. Hoyle Nix may be best known to the mainstream for writing the song "Big Balls in Cowtown," which was recorded by Bob Wills and George Strait, among others. The family has quietly maintained perhaps the most important musical legacy in West Texas, so I must recommend you make the effort to check out Jody Nix and the Texas Cowboys at the Stampede. Entrance is $15.00, and you can make reservations at 432-267-2060. Catch Jody Nix at one of his other regional dates if you don't live within driving distance of Big Spring.











Image Source: Vance Lane

No comments: