Monday, February 9, 2009

You say it best

I caught about half of the Grammy's on Sunday night, and given the fact that I was staying in a place with DVR access (i.e., not my house), I was able to watch the highlights in about 15 minutes. 

It was quite impressive to see Radiohead onstage doing their thing, even though 99% of people watching probably didn't get it.  (Not sure I even get Radiohead these days, but I still respect the hell out of them.)  And I'm guessing the USC marching band members are walking tall on campus today, at least if they made it out of bed this morning.  Rumor has it that there was a serious Dr. Pepper kegger after the performance, so it's likely things got a little crazy.  

Alison Krauss and Robert Plant, with T-Bone Burnett, put on a pretty good performance as well.  Whatever you think about that pairing, the harmonies are amazing, and the Grammy performance was a perfect example.  And let's also not forget that T-Bone produced both Bringing Down the Horse, by the Wallflowers, AND August and Everything After, by Counting Crows, so he can still do pretty much anything he wants.

I guess I'm impressed that the aforementioned duo won Album of the Year, given that they are still on independent Rounder Records.  Rounder has been around a while and is probably one of the bigger independent labels (soon to be bigger with the press this win will get them), but nonetheless, they are independent.  Quite impressive really that you can take a 60 year old ex-biggest-rock-star-in-the-world, and a one hit wonder bluegrass singer and make them into multiple Grammy winners.  I have to ask though, did Alison have part of her body removed to fit into that dress?  And also, can someone tell me how they won Album of the Year at the 2009 Grammys for an album that came out October 23, 2007?

No comments: