Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Oh Dear, New Deer Tick

It seems that each year I go to SXSW, I get really into a band that was there, but that I didn't get to see. Well, it's happened the last two years. Last year it was Justin Townes Earle, and probably within about 6 weeks of last year's SXSW, I had purchased every record he had. This year it is Deer Tick. I've never had the chance to see these guys live, but I regret whatever chances I've missed to see them (especially when they came through with the Felice Brothers).

I think it just took me a bit of time to really soak in what they are doing. What that is I'm not quite sure. In short, they basically just Jerry Jeff Walkered all of us. What does that mean? Well, this is what happens when people from the northeast play roots/rock/indie folk/americana/alt. country (or as their myspace says, Christian Rap) as well or better than any of us south/southwest-erners. We like to think it can't happen, but then the Ronald Crosbys and the John McCauleys of the world come around and remind us that it doesn't matter where you're from, as long as you can pick and sing it like you mean it.























Since I don't really play the download game, you can just go to your parents' favorite blog here to hear the song.

No comments: